The National Pan-Hellenic Council at WSU is the local governing council for the NPHC organizations at Washington State University.
The NPHC is made up of an executive board and council members who shall act on behalf of the community to promote the united interests of the NPHC community, including the promotion of each organization and the values of the community.
The stated purpose and mission of the National Pan-Hellenic Council shall be, “Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.” By which, we shall promote interaction through forums, meetings and other mediums for the exchange of information and engage in cooperative programming and initiatives through various activities and functions. On the campus of Washington State University, they have been very involved with the V.I.B.E.S. conference, the Black Student Union, Black Women’s Caucus, Black Men Making a Difference, and the fall yardshow.
The NPHC at WSU consists of the following chapters:
The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated (NPHC) is currently composed of nine (9) International Greek letter Sororities and Fraternities:
On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University, in Washington DC, the National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members: Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta Sororities. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the Council. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity completed the list of member organizations in 1997.
The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was “Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.” Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as “The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated.”
These various organizations were created with the purpose of scholastic achievement, service to our communities, character development, and a strong emphasis of brotherhood/sisterhood. Nationally, they have collaborated with groups such as March of Dimes, American Cancer Society, The Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), and many others.